Okay, this is possible but you will have to work it carefully. It’s Friday… make the effort. If 1 Long Island Ice Tea is going to hit you with 700 calories, it’s worth working the 100 calorie rum cocktail calculations. Now, 1 shot of 80 proof rum is 93 calories. So if your want an under 100 calorie rum cocktail recipe, you’ll have to pay very close attention to the mixers you add. Or you could cut the amount of alcohol, which will give you a comfortable 100 calorie rum cocktail. The other option is to mix and match the cocktails so that, on average, you’re drinking 100 calorie rum cocktails.
If Rum isn’t your thing, you can check out the 100 calorie beers list.
The best part about these recipes is that the ingredients are easily available and even if these particular drinks aren’t available at your friendly neighborhood watering hole, you can tell them exactly how it’s made
Mojito Fresco: Calories per serving: 95 calories
Makes: 8 servings
- Lemons, cut into pieces (keep one piece aside): 4
- Water: 2 cups
- Sugar (or sweetener): 2/3 cup
- Rum: ¼ to ½ cup
- Mint leaves: ½ cup
- Ice cubes
- Blend lime pieces, 2 cups water, and sugar for 30 seconds or until limes are chopped. Make sure it’s not pureed. Strain into a large pitcher. Mix in 2 cups additional water and chill for 1 to 12 hours.
- Stir in the rum. Moisten the rims of the glasses with the extra lime piece; dip rims in sugar. Put mint in each glass. Use a spoon to press mint into the bottom of each glass to release the flavor. Fill glasses with ice cubes. Pour the chilled lime mixture. Add extra mint leaves.
Low-Calorie Mai Tai: Calories per serving: 127
The idea here is to mimic the taste of a Mai Tai as closely as possible.
- Pineapple pieces: 2-3 pieces
- Light Rum: 1 ounce (30ml)
- Orange juice: 1 ounce
- Lemon juice: 1 ounce
- Almond syrup: 2 tablespoons
- Muddle the pineapple, lemon juice and almond syrup in a mixing glass with ice.
- Add the rum and orange juice. Shake well and chill.
- Strain over ice.
To get closer to the original Mai Tai, at a cost of an extra 34 calories, float some dark rum over the top
Skinny Bitch: Calories per serving: 93 calories
Replace the Coke in the classic Rum and Coke with the 0 calorie Diet Coke and you’re good to go. Add a lime if you like too.
Image Courtesy: Wikipedia